Taking in the last few rays of sunshine this evening, everything outside feels so clean and cool after the big downpour earlier. Every so often I think of how much I am enjoying the summer season this year. Not sure why the sentimentality now, but I suspect it's partly due to the fact that we have yet to see some serious heat and humidity in our area. The neighboring farmer moved some of their cows to the pasture bordering our backyard recently and the kids have been mooing and calling out to them, trying to catch their attention this evening. Not much peace for thinking or writing with such a racket, but their silliness was entertaining. As I shooed them along and hurried up with the typing, the mosquitoes started making an appearance and I knew I wasn't going to last outside much longer.
This dish has become a family favorite and was on the menu per special request on Father's day a few weeks back. Tender chicken breasts in a deeply flavorful sauce made with mushrooms, cream and wine, the vote was unanimous to have it served with pasta. In our house, when it comes to pasta and Sunday dinners, the two usually don't happen together. There is just something about the simplicity of pasta that happens to put it on the very bottom of our special-occasion, deliciously complicated, and time consuming list of dinner options. Fortunately this dished proved to be completely special occasion worthy, sans complications or any unusual time consumption.
Serves 4 or 8
- Slice breasts lengthwise making 8 thin-cut pieces. Pat dry with paper towels and season well with salt and pepper. Heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet and cook chicken in batches until browned though not necessarily cooked through. Place fillets into a large dutch oven, cover and set aside.
- Brush the mushrooms clean, remove the stems and slice vertically. In the same skillet heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil, add mushrooms and cook until browned and most of the liquid has evaporated. Transfer mushrooms into the dutch oven as well.
- Add wine and broth to the now empty skillet, bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes until liquid is reduced to about a cup.
- Add garlic, cook until fragrant, add cream and bring to a simmer Season with salt and pepper to taste..
- Pour the sauce over the chicken in the dutch oven, bring to a simmer and allow to cook for about 5 minutes to allow the fillets to cook thoroughly.
- Meanwhile set water to boil for your pasta, prepare and cook pasta as directed on the packaging. Serve the chicken over pasta, pouring additional marsala sauce over the dish as desired. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!
- 4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- salt & fresh ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 16 oz fresh baby portebella mushrooms
- 1 cup dry marsala wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 6 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Freshly chopped parsley for garnishing
- Your choice of pasta prepared and cooked as directed on the packaging.