Tonight, my weekend begins. I guess it's not a whole lot to brag about because it's actually getting late and the real exciting stuff starts tomorrow. My weekender bag is not even out for packing, the grocery list for the goodies to come with us is still in my head and we can't decide on our transportation (who's car is big enough for six girls?). Oh the joys of road trips!
Right now though I am half wishing I had one of these potatoes to dig into. I really can't think of a better way of eating a baked potato. I must admit that I have never really been into the whole loaded baked potato, but this is a whole different story. This is as simple as it gets; potatoes, onions and plenty of salt and pepper. What do you think?
Hasselback Potatoes & Caramelized Onions
- Potatoes: Pre heat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Wash, scrub and dry your potatoes. Cut slits into each potatoes crosswise, about 1/8 inch apart. Do not cut through the potatoes completely, stop just short of reaching the bottom of the potatoes so the all the slices are still held together.
- Generously brush your baking dish with cooking oil and place the potatoes inside making sure they fit pretty snugly. Brush a coat of oil onto each potatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Cover you baking dish tightly with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes, until slightly tender.
- Onions: Meanwhile peel and slice the onions crosswise as well using a mandoline slicer if you have one. Toss the sliced onions to release the rings and transfer into a large skillet. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often until the onions release their juices.
- Continue cooking until most of the liquid has evaporated and the onions have started to brown. At this point slowly add the cooking oil and season with salt and pepper. I like for my onions to cook down to a very soft stage with plenty of oil. Continue cooking until the onions have completely turned caramel in color. Set aside.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and brush them with another coat of oil along with additional seasoning is desired. Return to the oven uncovered for an additional 30 minutes. Serve immediately with the caramelized onions and parsley to garnish.
- 6 Large Russet potatoes
- Cooking oil of your choice
- salt & pepper
- freshly chopped parsley, for garnishing
- 6 medium golden onions
- 1/4 cup of cooking oil of your choice
- salt & pepper