Growing up, my family wasn't much into cooking or eating seafood. I am not sure why except that maybe because my father isn't really into seafood at all and my mother just never bothered to include it in her cooking. Having said that, the result was if we didn't eat at home, you wouldn't find me eating it anywhere else.
I don't know when and how we got into preparing and eating fish at home. My brother-in-law is an avid fisherman and could have started the trend when he joined the family, but we had really been missing out. The addition of variety to our almost daily diets has been well received. I absolutely love the lightness that fish and other seafood adds to meals. It does so without taking away from the heartiness of it and that's what makes this recipe so enjoyable.
I am not a big on sandwiches in general, I am a meat & potatoes kinda girl (oh hey, must be my slavic roots!). But, I will not turn down a traditional open faced sandwich called a бутерброд served with a cup of black tea. So when preparing this recipe, in my mind I imagined just that, a бутерброд. But alas, sticking to American tradition, here is the result. No less delicious mind you and in no way are you required to make a complete sandwich instead of the said бутерброд.
Avocado & Mustard Spread
Makes about 1 cup
- 1/2 fresh avocado
- 2 Tbsp sour cream
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- lemon juice
- salt & fresh ground black pepper
- Mash avocado and mix with the sour cream and mustard. If you have an immersion blender, use it to blend the spread until creamy.
- Add a squirt of lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Best to use immediately or same day.
Salmon on Rye
- Rye Bread, sliced
- Thinly sliced smoked salmon or gravlax
- Fresh arugula greens
- Red onion, sliced thinly
- Avocado & Mustard Spread
- Spread Avocado & Mustard mixture on both pieces of bread to be used.
- Top one slice with arugula followed by sliced red onions.
- Top the other slice with the salmon or gravlax.
- Garnish with a dash of lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste. Combine the slices and enjoy!